George Lauro – Founding Partner & CEO
Mr. Lauro has 25 years of experience as a technology entrepreneur, operating executive, and venture capitalist. He was Managing Director/Partner in 2 Silicon Valley private equity funds – Wasserstein Perella ($1.3B VC/LBO fund) and Techfarm Venture Capital ($275M tech VC fund), both in Silicon Valley. Over the past two decades, George has built several companies from prototype-stage to high value exit (M&A or IPO) as an active board member and investor.
George was Managing Director and Head of west coast technology investing at Wasserstein Perella, a leading Wall Street private equity and LBO firm. He opened, built and managed Wasserstein’s Silicon Valley office in Palo Alto, led and syndicated 18 equity financing rounds and PE control deals. He as raised over $100M equity financing for portfolio companies and completed M&A transactions exceeding $1B in combined value.
He has served on the Board of Directors of 5 public and over 20 private companies in roles including Board Chairman, member of compensation, audit, and corporate governance committees and Interim CEO.
Earlier in his career, he was managing Director of Technology Commercialization at IBM headquarters, where he led a team that launched several new businesses based on tech from IBM Watson Research labs. At Motorola, he launched and managed businesses in wireless, consumer Nav, vehicle informatics and communications. Some of these businesses exceeded $500M in annual revenue.
He began his career as an MIT Engineer, designing inertial guidance systems for spacecraft at MIT/Draper Lab while pursuing graduate studies at MIT Aero/Astro department.
He attended Brown University (BSEE), The Wharton School (MBA) and MIT (graduate studies Aerospace engineering). He holds 23 patents in RFID, GPS, wireless electronics, and missile inertial guidance systems. He is a member of the Band of Angels deal screening committee in Silicon Valley- the world’s oldest and most successful technology angel investing group.
George Lauro’s board seats have included:
- Publicly traded Peregrine Semiconductor (Nasdaq:PSMI,silicon on sapphire mixed-signal ICs)
- Publicly traded Software Publishing Corp (Harvard Graphics/NASDAQ:SPC)
- Publicly traded Lightwave Logic (Nasdaq: LWLG, organic polymer high-speed photonics)
- Publicly traded Akeena/Westinghouse Solar (Nasdaq:WES, solar power systems)
- Publicly traded World Energy (OTC:WEGY, hydrogen power systems)
- Inno360 (SAAS platform for accelerating enterprise Open Innovation)
- Euclid Discoveries (model based video compression solution)
- Corista (digital pathology image analytics/collaboration platform)
- ChipX (structured ASICs acquired by GiGoptix)
- Visual Composites (3D printing of complex high temp ceramic components)
- Triscend (configurable embedded processors acquired by Xilinx)
- Qusion (40G Indium Phosphide modulators acquired by Emcore)
- SandCraft (MIPS-based superscalar control plane processors acquired by Raza Micro)
- SmaL Camera (CMOS imagers acquired by Cypress Semiconductor)
- HotRail (terabit switch fabric silicon acquired by Conexant)
- TEAC Aerospace (LBO-digital image recorders acquired by Goodrich)